When living low carb, reproducing or replicating certain flavors from a former high carb life can pose challenges. I have done pretty well replacing former high carb textures (to an extent), but some flavors simply elude in the quest for the low carb keto holy grail: yeast flavors (baking bread), sourdough, sweet corn, popcorn, balsamic vinegar…just to name a few.
While I was not raised in the South, you would have to wonder by my food choices. Let’s talk about a staple in every Southern home; CORNBREAD.
How do you prefer your cornbread? I live with a bunch of Northerners who like sweet cornbread! Can I just say that I am not a fan? To make matters even worse my husband will pick up jiffy cornbread boxes when he comes with me to the grocery store. I do not understand why he likes that light fluffy sweet stuff. I prefer my cornbread dense, cooked in a skillet with bacon drippings, using white corn meal and NOT sweet! True Southerners do not eat sweet cornbread. In my mind if I want sweet cornbread, I can just eat a piece of cake.
In looking at different flavor profiles I came a crossed this flavored extract made by Amoretti, a company specializing in gourmet ingredients for the pastry, savory and beverage industry, and the home cook too. I ordered the Sweet Corn Extract from Amazon. Can I just say that this sweet corn extract is a game changer? It super concentrated so a little goes a long way and the smells like glorious Corn! This extract can be used in other low carb items such as Keto Tortilla Chips. and Corn Tortillas.
Cracklin Keto Cornbread
- January 15, 2019
- 30 min
- 220 Cals/Serving
- Print this
- 1 Tbs bacon grease
- Dry Ingredients
- 2/3 cup Pork Rinds (ground)
- 2 Tbs grated Parmesan Cheese
- 4 Tbs whey protein isolate, unflavored
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- Wet Ingredients
- 4 Tbs Sour Cream
- 2 large Egg
- 1/4 tsp Amoretti Sweet Corn Extract
- 2 tsp unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Step 2
- Grease pan with 1 Tbs of bacon grease and place in heated oven for 3-5 minutes
- Step 3
- Mix cornbread while pan preheats
- Step 4
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl, stir to combine
- Step 5
- In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients and stir until evenly mixed
- Step 6
- Add wet to dry ingredients and stir with a spatula until batter is smooth
- Step 7
- Carefully brush hot bacon grease onto the sides of the hot skillet
- Step 8
- Fill skillet pan with batter
- Step 9
- Bake at 400° for 8-12 minutes. Check at 8 minutes
- Step 10
- Remove and serve immediately with plenty of butter.